Saturday, January 29, 2011

Objectivity



Sometimes I stare at a piece so long that it becomes hard to be objective. So I do the traditional things to get a different perspective: flip it upside down, take it to the mirror. Sometimes it helps to take it a little further. Here I took an in progress photo of my painting to compare to the color comp I've worked up. Now I can do a side by side comparison to see more clearly the changes that need to happen. I've also have swatches of color to compare the two. The left column is the color comp sampled from top to middle of the piece. The second column is the same from the painting as is. This is helping me while painting a little more opaquely.

4 comments:

Tristan said...

YAY for opaque!

Anonymous said...

hmmm. interesting. flow and planning, thought. painting, creating is fun. nice work. pleasant smooth colors.

elise said...

Ahh! Wonderful tip comparing the colours, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it... I'm definitely going to use that method in the future. Thanks so much for posting! :)

Kendra Melton said...

it's looking beautiful!