Thursday, January 13, 2011

Progress Shot



Taking my time and having some pretty good results so far. I picked up the small brush to start adding detail to the hand. However, it's still early in the piece and I don't want to get too caught up in details too quick. Tomorrow I'm going to try and use a larger brush to get back into the background and bring the entire piece up to par.

I'm basically using the same technique of thinning out my oil paints and glazing in layers of paint. Every now and then I'll take a large soft brush to smooth out the brush strokes a bit. Part of me likes the strokes and doesn't want it to look too blended.

7 comments:

Jay said...

I absolutely love what you've brought into the piece so far. I can't wait to see it finished.

CGriffin said...

What medium are you using with your oils? I often get frustrated by the drying time.

Tristan said...

This is building up great! Don't be afraid to go opaque towards the end. Your painting will hold up better over time and really look solid.

MJC *-* said...

Wonder wonder wonderful. Love how you change the anatomy in something personal.
X

Kendra Melton said...

so pretty!

bill said...

That was a problem I had with oils back when I used them exclusively. There was this irresistible urge to homogenize, smooth out, everything because I worked in thin layers. Now I will use them over acrylics when I do want to that unearthly smooth texture. At heart I am a coward. I could never live with the beautiful brushstrokes of say Manchess or Meseldzija. I'm sure you'll get there Eric. I have great faith in you even if not in myself.

Jai Kamat said...

Your oil technique is looking awesome! Can't wait to see the final product man!