Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Texture can be fun

Here's a quick progress shot.  I've been trying to keep the small brushes at bay as well as applying large washes that take a bit of time to dry.  What I've been doing instead is utilizing more of the scumbling/ dry brush application.  I've been using mostly a filbert and a flat brush.  I'm still using a fairly thin wash and gradually adding darker and darker washes.   The texture of the background is also a good opportunity for a looser brushy application. 

Today I actually picked up a no 6 round brush and did some refining on the drifting smoke.  I'll try to keep the small brushes to a minimum until the end but you know...stuff happens.  Every now and then I need my fix ;)


2 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

hello,
i always enjoy seeing the stages you take to create a piece. it looks like you did a graphite sketch first and now paint over it. did you fix the sketch with something so that it does not smear.

wonderful to see the layers you are creating.

MJC *-* said...

I understand what you are saying, if you are making a bigger painting it will take more time. But...sometimes it's surprising to see how you can finish a big painting pretty quick. If it's a quite simple subject without a lot of background details, it's doable. Good luck with your deadline and I love the details on the skirt of your last piece.