Friday, August 14, 2009

Progress


Here I'm just refining the drawing. For the main figures and other important elements I like to get them just the way I like before applying paint. In this stage it's easier for me to correct mistakes or make adjustments while in graphite. Sometimes I will do subtle rendering that in the end become lost or completely covered up. So I'm trying not to put in too much detail in areas that I know are going to be dark. Also there's no real sense of value at this point. So what may seem dark is probably not even close. I'll smack some paint on here soon and have a better sense of where things need to be. I have a good idea of what this will look like in my head. Haven't done a value study yet. Wouldn't be a bad idea. And will probably save me some time in the long run. Why does getting started take so long!?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I always have a hard time erasing lines made w/ graphite. How are you *doing* that?! ^_^

EricFortune said...

Good question. A few things to consider.
- I tend to draw my final right on the watercolor paper. Because of this I have to be careful I don't disrupt the surface too much or else the paint will react differently. This wouldn't be much of a problem if I painted thicker.
- I use a kneaded erasure which is easy on the paper. You can also get more subtle lifting vs harsh erase lines.
- A soft pencil 2b ish is good because it's easy to see without pressing too hard. therefore easy to erase.

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful already.

Angela Matteson said...

Nice pinkie!
Did you flip over the left hand?

dTb said...

thank you so much for sharing these process images, it's incredibly insightful not to mention inspirational.

EricFortune said...

yes, a pinky shrink. And I had to take a new photo of my hand in the mirror which worked out great. I'm always exactly what I want in a model. I listen well and know all the good angles;) I need a telepathic clone to pose for me. preferably one that can levitate and pose. I know there's modeling software similar to this. I just haven't looked into it enough. someday

Angela Matteson said...

With the fingers not splayed anymore he looks less cautious and more filled with intent which sounds like what you were going for. Hard to tell in the jpg, but does the split in the sleeve need to flip to the top?

I have looked into posing software some, but it was expensive, and I think posing in front of the mirror is faster and more precise. Currently, I'm having kid hand/arm positioning issues. Luckily, my mini-sized hands come in handy...pun slightly intended. :P