Friday, January 8, 2010

Transferring Revisited


I recorded myself doing the actual transfer of a piece. I don't think the transfer method is what's important. For me it's the loose transfer that really saves me time. It also allows me to do the final drawing on watercolor paper that helps me keep the initial freshness which can be difficult to recapture if you're transferring a drawing that's already been finalized. See vid here

ps it seems that people are able to view the vid. However, I actually havn't been able to for some reason... Hopefully, it works for you:) This is where I'm at with the final drawing so far. Hope to finish soon and start painting.

6 comments:

Kendra Melton said...

Cool. I'm always interested in seeing how others transfer their line work. Thanks for sharing!

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

I could see a large grid in the video. Do you use that in some way? Thank you for sharing.

EricFortune said...

Why can't I watch my own vid? this isn't cool:( It wasn't a grid really. It was the sections of 8.5x11" print outs that I had taped together. I try to have minimal overlap because the overlapping sections get dark and is harder to see the lines of the printed sketch. Thanks for the question:)

andrewlong said...

Thanks again for more info on your transfer process.

Ramie said...

I haunt your blog like a ghost and it makes me happy! I have one question, because it's driving me crazy - how / with what do you seal your final pencil before starting to paint?? I've tried to work thin washes over pencil before, but I always got mud if I didn't seal the pencil, and very weird behavior of the paint if I did. (I was using Winsor-Newton Workable Fixative, iirc. I've tried several, it's never worked right for me. Rarrr!) Thanks so much in advance!

EricFortune said...

Ramie- Not sure what to say. I've had graphite drawings dissolve in turpentine but I don't have any issues with acrylic. Even the thinnest wash tends to seal the pencil in. Afterwards it's almost impossible to erase or smudge easily. And again, I'm using around a 2b pencil so it's still a softer lead. I think a fixitive would alter the paper's surface too much and my paints would react differently. I would try experimenting on scrap paper. Good Luck